my favorite things

my favorite things

Saturday, February 7, 2015

Embossing with a Stencil

This month's Color Kit at Hip Kit Club included a Dear Lizzy stencil. It's such a lovely design, full of flowers/leaves and I knew I wanted to individually paint them. Typically stencils are used with paints/mists over them. To enhance the design of the stencil, I used VersaMark on the back side of the stencil and placed it on watercolor paper. A brayer was used to ensure even coverage of the VersaMark. I then poured Zing embossing powder (white) over the image and heat set it. The result is stunning. I almost didn't paint it because it was so pretty with white on white.


The next step was to have fun painting. I used Gelatos and NeoColors to watercolor the image. Since it's white on white, it's initially hard to distinguish the flowers from the leaves. Keep the stencil close at hand to help see the design.


Since the painted page is so colorful, I decided to use minimal embellishments on the page. Watching the pattern come alive as I was painting, was so exciting. That is how I emboss with stencils, you can get a completely different look this way, and the end result is amazing!

3 comments:

I enjoy reading your comments. Thanks for visiting! :)