my favorite things

my favorite things

Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Scraplifting Elements of Design

Scraplifting is such a fun and easy way to get your mojo running. Scraplifting (to me) doesn't mean an exact replica of a layout. I prefer to use it as a jumping point for creativity. Yesterday I scraplifted Just G (Gillian) at Studio Calico. I searched her gallery and found a few layouts that spoke to me. I noticed a few repeating elements in these layouts: photo shapes, repeating elements, 8 1/2 x 11 layouts, and gray backgrounds. Here is my scraplift of Gillian's style.


Since I mainly scrap 12x12, I used a gray background and layered an 8 1/2x11 piece on top to be the main focal point. In her gallery, I noticed lots of photo shapes and I knew I had to give this a try. (One great benefit of scraplifting is trying new things, right?!) To create the heart-shaped photo, I used PicMonkey's new shapes editing tool (it's in the frames section of editing), I LOVE how this turned out. **The first time I tried it, too much sky was showing, and I wanted the focus to be on the gorgeous, turquoise water, so I just cropped my photo first, and then added it to the frame.** I then saved the heart-shaped photo on my computer and printed one large photo. To get the little photos, I just used the contact sheet option on my printer and trimmed around the hearts. I think I just discovered a new favorite technique! One final tip: I printed my main photo on luster photo paper and the small hearts on matte. I wanted the small hearts to feel like embellishments.

If you're in a creative rut, go find someone to scraplift! You may just surprise yourself like I did with this layout! Thanks for the inspiration, Gillian! To see Gillian's gallery, click here.

16 comments:

  1. Such a cool layout, Sherry and now I may need to scraplift you! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is just gorgeous, great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Also, your crafting space...I die...so, so great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful layout, Sherry! So peaceful and soothing. This would be perfect to link up to the current theme at Paper Issues. If you link up, and link back, you are eligible to win to collections packs from Echo Park. :)
    http://paperissues.blogspot.com/2014/06/new-issue-in-navy.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the way you took elements from Gillian's style and made your page your own!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow -- very cool layout. I could just dive into those colors. :) Thank you for your sweet comment on my blog re: Two Peas closing. It's been a sad day.

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy reading your comments. Thanks for visiting! :)